This week we continue our journey outside the ivory tower with a deep dive into writing for non-scientific audiences. We will focus on the Economist, a publication that writes very short, pithy articles about science papers.
We will also discuss another form of written communication that is very important to science - and that is the email.
- Email etiquette and tips
- ATIPP and ATIP
- Writing for ‘lay’ audiences
- Intro to And, but, therefore framework for building a narrative
- Comparing an Economist article to its scientific paper
Prepare in Advance
- Review Drawing the line and compare against original paper.
- Begin popular writing assignment
- The Message Box Workbook
- Clarke et al., 2015. A scientific basis for regulating deep-sea fishing by depth
Slides available via speakerdeck