November 6 and 7, 2017
Graphs and figures are not exclusive to science. They are used widely in general society as well. This week, we will explore a variety of examples of good and bad data visualization, to get a sense of how figures are used in general communication.
- The basics of #dataviz
- Scaling Y axes
- Good and interesting plots versus bad plots
- Common causes of bad plots
- M: Time will be provided to work on the Major Project.
- Select a science paper with complicated graphs that could not be directly used in #scicomm
- T: Working in pairs or groups of 3, hand-draw alternative plots from above, present to class
Code and Data
No code or data for today!
Slides available via speakerdeck