January 8-9, 2018
In these lectures we will introduce the course itself and demonstrate how it fits into the MI Fisheries Science course ecosystem.
We will then cover some basics about statistical terminology, and review how R Projects work so we can hit the ground running next week.
*Note: We actually did this lecture on Jan 15-16
- Introduction to the course and review of assignments
- Reviewing statistal terminology
- Reviewing basic logic of (frequentist) statistical analysis
- Determine presentation schedule for above
- Introduction to R Projects, and reviewing a sample project
Please download R and R Studio, and make sure you know how to install packages.
Please have a look at FISH 6002 materials for R Projects and Workflow. Also, download the file below.
- Barde, MP, and Barde, PJ. (2012) What to use to express the variability of data: Standard deviation or standard error of mean? Perspect Clin Res. 3(3): 113-116
- Nuzzo, R. (2014) Scientific method: Statistical errors. Nature News
- Hasley et al. (2015) The fickle P value generates irreproducible results. Nature Methods 12(3): 179-185
Hasley et al. (2015) has a great glossary with some basic stats terms, to refresh your memory.
Part 1 via speakerdeck
Part 2: Part 2 via speakerdeck